Bangladesh College of Physicians and Surgeons (BCPS) was established in 1972 by a parliamentary act to develop postgraduate medical education in the country. The College confers two tiers medical degrees, FCPS and MCPS in 41 and 15 subspecialties respectively. The FCPS degree is considered the highest degree in the country. The BCPS has got reciprocity with the Royal College of UK, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan and the identical institutions in the regional countries.
The library of the College came into being immediately following the establishment of the College. Now it is an important contributor to the aim of the college aim of developing independent learners.
BCPS Library aims at remaining dynamic and responsive to serve all members and fellows, to reflect good professional practice and foster quality, creativity & effectiveness with its collection and services.
- To select, organize and exploit learning resources for all members of the library.
- To provide an environment which stimulates the use of library materials, services and supports a variety of learning modes and resources.
- To understand the objectives and information needs of members of the library and to provide user-centered services to meet these needs.
- To provide the techniques for all members on how to use libraries and information services and to promote their use as a learning and research tool.
- To pursue quality and good professional practice in all activities.
ACCESS TO THE LIBRARY:
At present the library is situated in the west wing of 5 th floor, new building. This is a duplex structure. The lower floor is used as reading section and the upper floor as journal section.
BCPS library has installed auto access control system; students can use the library facilities only after punching the valid ID card before entering the library.
The library is open to the Fellows of the College. Non-fellows may avail the library facilities after being enrolled as a member on payment of Tk. 300.00 for each year. All categories of users should follow certain rules and regulations of the library.
BCPS Library remains open six days a week. It is open from 9.00 AM to 9.00 P.M Saturday through Thursday. It remains closed on public holidays and other dates announced by the College authorities.
Most of the collections of the BCPS Library are closely related to the medical professionals and those are classified, catalogued and displayed using international professional standards. The Library resources include books, periodicals, dissertations, audiocassettes, video cassettes, CD-ROMs etc. At present the users of BCPS Library have accesse to around 5,130 books, 5,200 dissertations and 125 national and international current periodicals. In addition the library also ensures easy access to the internet for the users to browse, download, and print information from HINARI online databases that offer over 3750 title of journal of 113 countries
The number of book in the library is over around 5,130 . Most of these books are broadly categorized into the following 26(twenty six) areas:
- Anaestrhesia and Critical care
- Family Medicine
- Dental Surgery
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Physical Medicine
- Plastic Surgery
- Radiology & Imaging
- Respiratory Diseases
The Library has been receiving 130 titles of periodicals every year on almost regular basis. These are in form of Bulletin, Journal, Research paper, Review, Magazine etc. The library also subscribe 21 (self funded) and 27 (WHO funded) medical journals on all above specialties so far.
The important collection of high research value of the library is dissertations submitted by FCPS candidates. The number of dissertations in the library is around 5,200.
INFORMATION RETRIEVAL SERVICE:
An on-demand information retrieval service is available for all Fellows and Members. In addition the library provides a current awareness service to the Fellows of the College.
ELECTRONIC LIBRARY SERVICE:
The Library maintains an electronic library equipped with seven computers with radio-link internet connection. All Fellows and Members of the library can browse, download and print materials from the web recourses. The charge for the same is: per hour browsing Tk. 10.00 and Tk.4.00 for printing of each page.
The library provides Medline services to the Fellows and Members through internet.
The Fellows and members may get photocopies of learning resources from the library materials if permitted under the national and international copyright laws, rules and regulations on payment of Tk 1.00 per impression.
REFERENCE AND BIBLIOGRAPHIC SERVICE:
The Library provides reference and bibliographic service to the members on request basis. Library staffs assist in locating information and provide instruction in the use of resources, card catalogue, indexes and abstract if the users request.
READING ROOM FACILITIES:
The library is running on 5 th and 6 th floor of the new building, these duplex floors have been joined by mezzanine floor and wooden staircase. Reading room on ground floor, over 52 users can sit together in the reading room. 1 st floor is especially for the reading purpose and students are allowed to use entire floor with their own and library books and up stair for journal section.
STATISTICS FOR THE YEAR 2008-2009:
- Books worth Tk. 8,49,109 has been purchased
- Journals and periodicals worth USD 13,007 and GBP 3,197 have been purchased. In addition 18 title journals have been procured through WHO fund.
- Updated membership now is 1320. They are non Fellow members. Beyond this all the Fellows of BCPS are members of the library.
- Till date 2500 users have used browsing facilities of the library.
GENERAL RULES FOR LIBRARY USERS:
- Students can use the library facilities only after producing the valid ID card before entering the library.
- The Library is a place for study; students' behavior should reflect this and they should respect the needs of others.
- Silence is required throughout the library.
- Mobile phone must be silent before entering the library and should not be used in anywhere within the library premises.
Personal possessions are not allowed in the library, except exercise book, pen, geometry box and calculator.
BCPS, Mohakhali, Dhaka-1212.